INTELLECT Law Firm | Litigators and business lawyers all over Russia
Maxim Labzin is 'a great speaker in court hearings' and has 'a strong background in IP litigation'.
- Intellectual property proceedings in general jurisdiction and arbitrazh courts, Chamber for Patent Disputes and before antimonopoly authorities
- Copyright and patents
- Trademarks and trade designations
- Unfair competition
2013 – "Legal Business in USA. Law Firm Management": Training for Partners and Top Executives of Law Firms. Lincoln Law School of San Jose, San Jose State University, California, USA.
In 2002 Maxim graduated with distinction Moscow State Social University, Law Faculty.
INTELLECT has "a very strong multi-office IP practice". Maxim Labzin heads the IP litigation team.
Maxim has been personally recommended by:
- Best Lawyers – Intellectual Property Law, 2015-2019, Litigation, 2019.
- Legal 500 EMEA – in the intellectual property sector, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2019, and ТМТ, 2016, 2017, 2019.
- Chambers Europe – Intellectual Property: Patent Filing, 2016-2017.
The IP Litigation Practice led by Maxim is notes as one of Russia's best by:
- Legal 500 EMEA, Intellectual Property, 2016-2019.
- Pravo 300, Russia, Intellectual Property, 2011-2018.
Maxim joined INTELLECT in 2011 from his own practice which he had led as managing partner of Labzin & Partners, listed in the top ten intellectual property firms of Russia in 2010 (according to nationwide rating Pravo.ru).
Maxim Labzin's most notable courtroom accomplishments include:
- successful representation of the client in a domain name dispute compounded by a flagrant trademark infringement and unfair competition;
- the biggest case related to the IT rights in the internationally recognized S.T.A.L.K.E.R. videogame brand infringed by a publishing group (AST, Astrel Publishers) which published a namesake book series. The court granted the suit against AST for unlawful publishing;
- protection of manufacturer's interests from its rival – trademark owner. The trademark owner filed dozens of actions across Russia against retailers and the wholesaler of this manufacturer. But the court in Moscow and most of other courts dismissed all the actions filed by trademark owner. As a result the total amount of compensation was only several tens of thousand roubles;
- judicial case related to protection of utility model, that belonged to the biggest producer of plastic pipes and plastic utility products. Lawyer won the case at three court instances. Moreover it was created a new precedent in the protection of patent holders' rights: all protectable patent rights — and remedies — are available to the patent holder retroactively, starting the date of filing of the original patent claim, in fact, since the date of the application for the previous patent (even held partially invalid subsequently), which date remains the same for the new patent, and cover the entire history of the patent.
- the biggest case related to protection of patent holder's interests on manufacture of a unique pharmaceutical from commercial organization. The case included several legal proceedings and took years of litigation. The patent holder was awarded the damages in the amount of RUB 2,500,000. This amount is so far one of the largest in Russian patent dispute history.
- successful representation of the owner of the trademark COMEDY Club™ in arbitrazh courts resulting in the award of record damages of over RUB 8 million which was effectively enforced;
- successful representation of a trademark owner in a chain of trials, appeals and cassation reviews in arbitrazh courts in a case where the owner of a confusingly similar trade name had been founded by the prior owner of the trademark; and
- successful challenge of a patent in general jurisdiction courts on grounds of misappropriated inventorship.
Able to assist international companies with non-Moscow based patent and intellectual property infringement disputes.