Intellectual Property and Information
INTELLECT named among Russia's top firms in the intellectual property sector by the reputed guides Pravo.Ru-300, The Legal500 EMEA, Chambers Europe, Best Lawyers.
Intellectual property is INTELLECT's historically first and core competence. Our qualified legal professionals and patent attorneys whose names are household in Russian IP circles, are prepared to undertake any legal or patent engagement which requires skill, competence, knowledge and confidentiality, ranging from initial registration of trademarks and filing patent claims (including in foreign jurisdictions) to protection of IP rights extrajudicially and representing clients before regulatory bodies and courts, including the Chamber for Patent Disputes, Federal Antimonopoly Service, customs, Intellectual Property Court and arbitrazh courts. As a related competency, we help our clients protect their knowhow from unauthorized disclosures, their business against unfair competition and deceptive advertising, their business reputation against blemishing, and their moral rights against infringements.
INTELLECT's IP services include:
- Personal data. Legal representation before the Federal Service for Supervision of Communications, in court
- Representation in IP disputes, including domain name disputes
- Registration of trademarks, computer software and databases needing protection
- Patenting inventions, industrial designs and utility models
- Protection of authors’ rights and related rights
- Antitrust and advertising, including protection against unfair competition and deceptive advertising
- International registration of trademarks
- International patenting, including filing patent applications under the terms of the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT)
- Franchises, transfers of knowhow, and protection of trade secrets
- Libel and slander claims. Protection of business reputation and other moral rights
- Licenses and license agreements; assignments of trademarks, computer software and patents; filing for official registration of disposals of IP rights
Russian law defines IP as creations of the intellect, results of labors of the mind. Intellectual property also includes identifiers of legal entities, goods, services and businesses, equally protectable under the law. Part 4 of the Russian Civil Code extends protection to:
Intellectual Property Rights
Intellectual property rights are the rights, titles and interests in and to creations of the intellect and results of labors of the mind (and, by definition, the rights to identifiers of legal entities, goods, services and businesses equally protectable under the law), which include:
- authors’ moral rights in and to scientific, literary and artistic works;
- rights associated with or related to authors' rights, which include moral rights to performance productions, phonorecords, air and cable radio and television broadcasts, and rights in and to scientific, literary and artistic works first made public after the works have entered into public domain;
- patent rights in and to inventions, utility models and industrial designs;
- rights in and to identifiers of legal entities, goods, services and businesses, including business names, trademarks, service marks, appellations of places of origin of goods, and trade names;
- rights in and to selection inventions; and
- rights in and to the layout designs (topographies) of integrated circuits, and rights in and to knowhow.
Intellectual property and IP rights are protectable under civil, administrative and criminal law.